ECPR General Conference 2017, Universitetet i Oslo, Norway
We have a section, including 11 panels, at the General Conference.
Our section is S63: The Diversity of Democratic Innovations – Adapting Democratic Innovations to Different Challenges of Democracy. Section chairs are Staffan Himmelroos, Åbo Akademi University and Simon Beste, University of Lucerne.
- Can New Technologies Improve Democratic Innovations? Challenges and Risks of Digital Devices for Democracy (P036)
- Deliberative Behavior (P085)
- Democratic Innovations and Local Democracy (P087)
- Democratic Innovations at the Local Level (P088)
- Democratic Innovations from a Citizen Perspective (P089)
- Disagreement and Diversity in Deliberative democracy (P096)
- Liberal Democracy, Populism, and the Role of Democratic Innovations (P204)
- Locating Deliberative Democracy´s Normative Principles in Real-World Political Practice (P212)
- The Newer, the Better? Comparing Traditional and Innovative Participatory Formats (P405)
- The Place of Innovation (P409)
- The Promises and Pitfalls of Democratic Innovations (P420)
For more information about the panels please visit: https://ecpr.eu/Events/SectionDetails.aspx?SectionID=644&EventID=96
Timetable, academic programme and more information about the conference can be found at the ECPR website: https://ecpr.eu/Events/EventDetails.aspx?EventID=96
Papers should be uploaded within August.
Business meeting Friday 8 September 13:00–14:00
Our SG will have a full section chaired by Staffan Himmelroos (Åbo Akademi) and Simon Beste (Stuttgart), with 10 interesting panels at the General Conference in Oslo. As usual, we will also have a Business Meeting in conjunction with the conference. Since there were no slots thanks to a large number of panels, we will organise the Business Meeting on Friday lunch time, in room GS 3512, where many of our panels will be held. We are not able to provide lunch at the meeting, so please pre-order your lunches according to the instructions given by the ECPR. We will, however, try to order coffee and tea and some soft drinks to the meeting.
So, please come to the Business Meeting on Friday 8 September 2017, 13:00 – 14:00 (it will be listed 12:45 in the official program but we need some time for people to collect their lunches so 1 pm is more realistic).
Summer school “Democratic innovations in Europe and in the European Union”
21 – 25 August 2017, Brussels, Belgium
An initiative of the ECPR Standing Group on Democratic Innovations, Organized by the Université Saint-Louis – Brussels & Université catholique de Louvain. We invite applications from advanced Master students and PhD students from all across Europe and the world. Applicants should send a letter of motivation and their CV to email@example.com no later than 1 April 2017 and ideally before as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
More information about the Summer School can be found here: Summer school_SG Democratic innovations_Programme
ECPR Joint Sessions, University of Nicosia, 10-14 April 2018
Call for papers, deadline 6 December 2017
Workshop: Can Participatory reforms Save Representative Democracy?
Workshop Director: Kimmo Grönlund, Åbo Akademi
Co-director: Brigitte Geissel, Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
More information on the ECPR website
Call for Papers: “Beyond Democracy: Innovation as Politics”
Deadline: August 31, 2017.
Published by “Glocalism: Journal of Culture, Politics and Innovation”. This issue is scheduled to appear at end-October 2017.