Established in 2015
Presidents are crucial political actors: they play a decisive role as international actors, party leaders, electoral campaigners, government members, legislative proponents, constitutional guarantors and veto players. For this reason the importance of presidents is growing both politically and institutionally. Despite the literature on them has markedly increased in the last decades, there have been no general comparative analyses so far: much attention is devoted to case studies and to particular aspects of the presidential activities. Thus, this new Standing Group seems to be crucial in better understanding the developments in Presidential politics by promoting deep comparative researches: it is both the starting point for those interested in studying this topic and the meeting point for the existing scholars in the field.
Details of our activities, including calls for papers, can be found in the “News” section.
Aims and objectives
The aims of the Standing Group are:
• To pursue scientific goals by activating and strengthening the network of scholars sharing an interest in Presidential politics.
• To promote research in all aspects of Presidential politics within the political science community.
• To encourage collaboration among political scientists on common academic projects.
The Standing Group’s activities include:
• Organizing panels/sections/workshops at ECPR Joint Sessions and ECPR General Conferences.
• Organizing annual summer schools.
• Keeping members in touch and distributing relevant info through the SG Newsletter.
• Maintaining the SG official website with information on the SG research activities, programs and goals.
• To collaborate with other Standing Groups, especially those with related items.
If you would like to join the Presidential Politics Standing Group, you will need an ECPR account. If you do not have one already, you can create an account for free in only a few minutes at http://www.ecpr.eu/LoginCreateNewAccount.aspx
After logging in, please click on “MyECPR” in the upper right corner. Then click on “My groups” and all the Standing Groups will be visible. Click on Presidential Politics and then click join.
You can also follow the Standing Group on Twitter @PresidPolitics.
You can email any of the members of the Steering Committee listed in Steering Committee.
For any questions or comments regarding this website, please contact Martina Misantoni at email@example.com