Dear Members of the Standing Group on Democratic Innovations,
we need to elect a new Steering Committee. The incumbent SC has decided to open a nomination period as of today. You may nominate yourself (for some reason, the ECPR Constitution does not allow for nominations of other members) until June 15. The election (if needed), will be held electronically, most likely in August.
If you want to nomimate yourself, send an e-mail to email@example.com by the latest June 15. The new SC will take office as of 1 January 2019.
On behalf of the Steering Committee and my co-convenor André Bächtiger,
Extract of our Constitution below:
The Standing Group is governed by a Steering Committee consisting of five members elected by and from the Standing Group members for a period of three years, renewable.
2. Elections will be conducted by electronic ballot.
3. If individual members of the Steering Committee resign before the end of the end of the Steering Group’s regular term of office, the Steering Group may conduct an electronic election to replace that member.
4. At least six months before the Steering Committee’s term of office expires, it invites candidates from among the Standing Group members to nominate themselves within one month. If after that deadline fewer than five candidates and/or fewer than two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions have nominated themselves, the nomination period is extended for another month.
5. If only five candidates have nominated themselves, including at least two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions, they are declared elected.
6. If more than five candidates have nominated themselves, but only two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions, the latter two candidates are declared elected; elections will be held only to assign the remaining seat on the Steering Committee to one of the candidates not yet declared elected.
7. If sufficient candidates have nominated themselves to have elections for all or part of the seats, the Steering Committee notifies ECPR Central Services within a month after nominations have closed of the names of the candidates, and of the number of seats to be filled.
8. ECPR Central Services will notify all Standing Group members of the period within and manner by which they can cast their vote.
9. The electoral system is STV as used for ECPR Executive Committee elections.
10. If all five seats on the Steering Committee are to be filled, and the candidates who meet the electoral quota do not include at least two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions, the non-affiliated candidate meeting the electoral quota with the lowest number of votes is removed. This procedure is repeated until at least two candidates affiliated to ECPR member institutions are elected.