The Teaching and Learning Politics Standing Group is committed to the promotion of teaching and learning in the field of political science. Our aim is to support the scholarship of teaching and learning, foster dialogue on the relevance of teaching and learning in higher education, and endorse the recognition of teaching among political science researchers.
Since there is a great variation across Europe in the provision of teacher training for political scientists, we see it as our mission to level the differences by disseminating best practice across the continent. Our primary goal is to focus on those beginning their academic careers as teachers of political science (i.e. PhD students in the latter stages of their studies or young scholars who have been recently awarded their doctorate). However, we hope to engage more senior political science teachers in meaningful discussion on improving the quality of teaching and learning in Europe.
The ECPR Standing Group Teaching and Learning Politics (TLP) was formally established on 15 April 2011 and is a direct continuation of the work that had previously been done within the framework of the European Political Science Network (epsNet). You can find more on our past work here.
In order to carry out our mission, we engage in the following activities:
- organise panels at the ECPR General Conferences;
- organise European teaching and learning conferences;
- promote publications;
- organise summer schools for young teachers;
- disseminate information about teaching and learning issues.
We have more than 300 members from different European and non-European institutions. We welcome among our members anyone who shares our mission. Membership is free.
Anyone wishing to join us should do so by following these steps:
- Go to MyECPR, log in or create a new account (you can create an account even if you are not an ECPR member);
- Once logged-in, go to ‘Groups and Networks’ and then ‘Current Standing groups’;
- Select ‘details’ under ‘Teaching and Learning Politics’;
- Click ‘join standing group’.
The TLP Standing Group is governed according to its statutes by the Steering Committee. The current steering committee was elected in June 2020, and took office in September 2020 for a three-year term. Its members are:
- Silviu Piros, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium (Convenor)
- Shardia Briscoe-Palmer, De Montfort University, United Kingdom (Member)
- Dorothy Duchatelet, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Member)
- Alexandra Mihai, Maastricht University, The Netherlands (Member)
- Dale Mineshima-Lowe, Birkbeck, University of London, United Kingdom (Member)
- Agnes Simon, Masaryk University, Czechia (Member)
- Jana Urbanovská, Masaryk University, Czechia (Member)
The Steering Committee can be reached at email@example.com
Minutes of the Steering Committee meetings