EUROPEAN CONSORTIUM FOR POLITICAL RESEARCH (ECPR)
Steering Committee of the Standing Group on Political Representation Business Meeting minutes
Thursday 27 August 2020 8:45–10:30 am (BST)
In attendance: Livia de Souza Lima, John Erik Fossum, David T., Claudia Wiesner, Pieter de Wilde, Lasse Thomassen.
1. INITIAL MATTERS
1.1 Apologies for absence
No apologies for absence received.
1.2 Minutes of the last meeting
The minutes from the last meeting were circulated (https://standinggroups.ecpr.eu/representation/?p=152). There was nothing to add.
1.3 Other matters arising
It was noted that the membership has risen from about 300 to about 350 over the last year.
The webpage needs updating. Lasse will get in touch with the ECPR again about access to do so. Update: Access achieved, and webpage updated.
2. STANDING GROUP RETREAT 2020
Lasse attended the retreat. The slides from the retreat were circulated to the other steering committee members. There was nothing special to report, but it was noted that the ECPR seem keen on SGs connecting with publishers and journals.
3. REPORT OF ACTIVITIES IN 2019-20
Due to the Covid pandemic, the SG has only organized a section at the General Conference currently under way.
4. FUTURE EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
(1) Collaboration with the journal Representation. Lasse will contact the journal to see how we might use it for the benefit of the members of the SG (e.g., special issues). Update: Lasse contacted the journal on 28 August 2020.
(2) Workshops, etc.: nothing specific planned, but members should feel encouraged to take the initiative to organize events. There is some – limited – funding available from the ECPR.
(3) Joint Sessions: there is some uncertainty about next year’s joint sessions (content and form), but the SG is happy to support (good) proposals for workshops at future joint sessions and to be helpful in drafting proposals.
(4) General Conference: the SG should aim to submit at least one section proposal for next year’s General Conference. We discussed the idea of doing a joint proposal together with the SG on Political Concepts on representation and populism. The SG Steering Committee will discuss this and, if relevant, confer with Claudia Wiesner from the SG on Political Concepts. Update: The SG on Political Concepts would like to do a joint section proposal – further information to follow. Other ideas discussed include (some of these can be linked, also to representation/populism):
– Representation and the Covid pandemic
– Representation and the role of experts
– The Future of Europe conference (the role of participation, etc.)
– Representation, gender and intersectionality (including in the context of right-wing populism)
– Representation, populism and nationalism
– Symbolic dimensions of populism
5. ISSUES RAISED BY STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
No issues raised.
There was no other business.
7. NEXT MEETING – ECPR General Conference 2021
Date and time TBA
27 August 2020
(updated 1 September 2020)