Ghent University- Post-doctoral assistant (12776)
Req ID 12776 – Posted 07/10/2019 – Assistant academic staff – 100% – Faculty of Political and Social Sciences – PS03 – Political Sciences
→ Apply until 29/10/2019 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Political and Social Sciences
→ Department PS03 – Political Sciences
→ AAP temporary appointment – 100%
→ Number of openings: 1
→ Reference number: 201910/PS03/DA009
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research on political representation and political parties
- You will assist in teaching activities at the Bachelor’s
or Master’s level for following courses:
- Contemporary Issues in Belgian Politics
- Master’s Dissertation Seminar
- Politicologie II: Capita selecta
- Seminar on State Government
- You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation.
- You will counsel doctoral students working on political representation and political parties
- You will contribute to the further development of the research group Gaspar (www.gaspar.ugent.be) and to services for the Department of Political Science
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree in Political Science (or equivalent).
For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have already conducted research within the field of political representation and/or political parties.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher in your doctorate.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
- You may present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peerreviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You are able to teach the above mentioned courses in Dutch (or you are prepared to improve your Dutch language proficiency at short notice)
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a three year appointment, which will not be renewed. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a postdoctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- Your appointment will start on 1 January 2020 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en)
- Research proposal (of 3 pages) in which research plans for the following 3 years are discussed
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Bram Wauters (bram.wauters@UGent.be, +32 9 2649723).
See also this link: https://career012.successfactors.eu/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&company=C0000956575P&navBarLevel=JOB%5fSEARCH&rcm%5fsite%5flocale=en%5fGB&site=VjItRG9OVktVYS9CQ3J3RmtmaHoxaFpSQT09&career_job_req_id=12776&selected_lang=en_GB&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=rmDMzn3RhsgB%2ftifl5n2i9O81jU%3d