Dear ECPR Immigration and Ethnicity SG Members,
Welcome to the second newsletter of the Standing Group.
- Call for Papers
- General Conference Announcements: SG General Meeting, Newsletter Special Issue
- New Members’ Publications
- Contribute to the newsletter
- Follow us and become a member
- Call for Papers
- Migration Working Group 2017-2018 Call For Papers
The Migration Working Group of the European University Institute organises small thematic half-day workshops taking place once a month. Each workshop includes 5-6 paper presentations and significant time for discussion of the papers. You are invited to submit paper abstracts (max 500 words) by 17 September 2017. Please include your contact details affiliation and biographical note (max 400 words). Find out more here
- Workshop at MPI Goettingen: Call for Papers
Workshop to be held at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Göttingen, on 15-16 November 2017. Organized in cooperation with the “Local refugee politics” working group of the Netzwerk Flüchtlingsforschung. Keynote Speaker: Barbara Oomen, University College Roosevelt, Utrecht University.Deadline for abstracts: 15 August 2017
Find out more here
- Call for Papers BARI 2017 Workshop: “Governing Diversity in the 21st century: The Quest for National Unity and Contested Accommodation of Minorities in Heterogeneous States” Comenius University in Bratislava
The workshop will be held at Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia on September 21-22, 2017. To submit proposals for individual papers, please include the title of the paper; an abstract of the paper (max. 250 words); 3-8 keywords indicating the subject, theme, and scope of the paper; and a short biography (max. 300 words).To submit panel proposals, please include the title of the panel, an abstract (max. 500 words), the title of each paper (max. five papers), the abstracts of each paper (max. 250 words), short biographies for all paper authors (max. 500 words) and a discussant name (one of the paper presenters can be a discussant).Proposals should be sent to Dr Svetluša Surova: firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2017.
Find out more here
- Call for Papers Conference: The “Others” amongst “Us” University of Leiden
The conference ‘The “Others” amongst “Us”: Thoughts on Western Societies, Otherness, and the Law’ will take place on Friday 8 December and Saturday 9 December 2017 at the University of Leiden, The Netherlands.Looking at the area of immigration, the conference will focus on the Law and how it relates to social divides. Underlying is the notion that minorities at large and immigrants in particular tend to be conceived of as ‘others’ in society, which naturally raises questions on the construction and effect of ‘otherness’ in ‘our’ Western societies. There are many ways how ‘otherness’ could be approached. Likewise, there are as many ways as one could describe the society which characterizes the ‘other’.
Find out more here .
Contact point: Dr. Moritz Jesse: email@example.com
- Network Facilitator for the COST Action ETHMIGSURVEYDATA, applications by midnight 23 July: https://t.co/XvnGXxUXE1
- Research Fellow (GLIMER), University of Edinburgh – Sociology: https://www.vacancies.ed.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.display_form
- Open Rank Faculty, Political Science/Social Data Analytics. The Department of Political Science. Apply online at *https://psu.jobs/job/72588 <https://psu.jobs/job/72588>*
- Open Rank Faculty, Political Science and International Relations. Hebrew University. Please submit all application materials electronically at: https://ttp.ekmd.huji.ac.il
- Assistant Professor (ATB) in International Relations (SPIRe), UCD School of Politics & International Relations (Permanent) Apply: https://hrportal.ucd.ie/pls/corehrrecruit/erq_search_package.search_form?p_company=1&p_internal_external=E.
- Research Associate. The School of Law and Politics <http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/law-politics> at Cardiff University <http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/> has advertised for two Research Associate (post-docs) positions at the newly established Centre for Political and Legal Analytics (CPLA).
- General Conference Announcement
- IMPORTANT: Our standing group will be holding its first general meeting in a while at the next ECPR General Conference in Oslo (6-9 September 2017).
The meeting is scheduled on 8 September at 13:00-14:00 (room HE 233). Please, do join us for the meeting, it will be an important opportunity to gather proposals for future activities, suggestions, and improvements for the group.
If you want to suggest items for the meeting agenda please contact us via this email address, more details to follow.
We also hope that it can be a way for you to expand your academic network.
We look forward to your participation.
- New Members’ Publications
- Attinà, Fulvio (2017), Italy and the European migration crisis, in Colombo Alessandro and Paolo Magri, eds., The age of uncertainties. Global scenarios and Italy, Milano, Edizioni Epoké-ISPI, pp. 151-160. http://www.ispionline.it/it/EBook/2017_Report_ENG/The_Age_of_Uncertainty.pdf
- Attinà, Fulvio (2016), Migration drivers, the EU external migration policy and crisis management, in “Romanian Journal of European Affairs”, 16, 4, 15-31. http://rjea.ier.ro/sites/rjea.ier.ro/files/articole/RJEA_2016_vol16_no4_art2.pdf
- Blanco Sío-López, Cristina, “Unveiling Covectors. Correlating Migration and EC Enlargement in the Case of Spain” – Journal of European Integration History (JEIH) – Special Issue 2017 ‘Peoples and Borders. Seventy Years of Movement of Persons in Europe, to Europe, from Europe (1945-2015)’ – Nomos & EU Liaison Committee of Historians – ISSN 0947-9511 – Scopus (Elsevier), pp. 211-237.
- Bourbeau, Philippe (Ed.). 2017. Handbook on Migration and Security. Edward Elgar Publishing
- Bustikova. Lenka. 2017. “The Radical Right in Eastern Europe,” in: The Oxford Handbook of the Radical Right, (ed. Jens Rydgren). New York: Oxford University Press. [link]
- Dionigi, Filippo ‘Statehood and Refugees: Patterns of Integration and Segregation of Refugee Populations in Lebanon from a Comparative Perspective’, Middle East Law and Governance, 2017, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1163/18763375-00902001
- Chambers, Stephanie, Diana Evans, Anthony M. Messina and Abigail F. Williamson (Eds.) 2017), The politics of new immigrant destinations. Transatlantic perspectives. Philadelphia: Temple University Press. https://www.amazon.com/Politics-New-Immigrant-Destinations-Transatlantic/dp/143991463X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499347806&sr=8-1&keywords=politics+of+new+immigrant+destinations
- Gallo, Ester and Scrinzi, Francesca Migration, (2016) Masculinities and Reproductive Labour: Men of the Home. London: Palgrave MacMillan (ISBN 978-1-137-37978-8)
- Joly, D. and Wadia, K. 2017. Muslim women and power: political and civic engagement in West European societies, London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Pilati, Katia. 2016. Migrants’ Political Participation in Exclusionary Contexts. From subcultures to radicalization, Palgrave Pivot Series, Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Pilati, Katia and Laura Morales. 2016. “Ethnic and immigrant politics vs mainstream politics: the role of ethnic organizations in shaping the political participation of immigrant-origin individuals in Europe.” Ethnic and Racial Studies. 39(15): 2796-2817 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01419870.2016.1181270
- Richter, M., Ruspini, P., Mihailov, M., Mintchev, V., Nollert, M. (2017) Migration and Transnationalism Between Switzerland and Bulgaria, New York: Springer (ISBN: 978-3-319-31944-5)
- Ruedin, Didier and Laura Morales (2017), “Estimating party positions on immigration: Assessing the reliability and validity of different methods” in Party Politics, OnlineFirst: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1354068817713122?journalCode=ppqa
- Ruspini, P., Kaya, B. 2017. “Country Report Switzerland”, Migrant Integration Policy Index Health Strand developed within the framework of the IOM Project “Fostering Health Provision for Migrants, the Roma and other Vulnerable Groups” (EQUI-HEALTH), 27 p.
- Scrinzi, F. 2017. “Caring for the elderly in the family or in the nation? Gender, women and migrant care labour in the Lega Nord”. West European Politics, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01402382.2017.1287447
- Siroky David S. and Christopher W. Hale, 2017. “Inside Irredentism: A Global Empirical Analysis,” American Journal of Political Science, 61(1): 117-128. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ajps.12271/full
- Siroky David S., Sean Mueller and Michael Hechter, 2017.” Cultural Legacies and Political Preferences: The Failure of Separatism in the Swiss Jura,” European Political Science Review, 9(2): 303-327. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1755773915000399
- Willem Maas. 2017. “Boundaries of Political Community in Europe, the US, and Canada,” Journal of European Integration http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07036337.2017.1327526
- Contribute to this newsletter
If you wish to send your notifications to this newsletter, please submit these at the time of the next call for submissions via this form .
With best wishes,
Filippo Dionigi, David Siroky, Daniela Vintila
SG Immigration and Ethnicity Convenors