Call for Panel Proposals – Section on Migration at the 2024 ECPR General Conference
The ECPR Standing Group Migration & Ethnicity is seeking Panel proposals for their Section on Migration and Ethnicity at the 2024 ECPR General Conference (12-15 August 2024, University College Dublin).
This Section aims to bring together different Panels that critically discuss the shifting dynamics of international migration policies and practices from a comparative perspective, while also addressing the role of social and political actors in shaping migration governance. Following an interdisciplinary approach and diverse methodological viewpoints, the Section welcomes Panel proposals that focus on the different social, economic, political and/or legal facets of immigration, emigration, inclusion or return. For the 2024 ECPR General Conference, the Section of the Standing Group Migration and Ethnicity can include up to 10 Panels.
Panel proposals can focus on different themes related to international migration. This could include (without being restricted to) topics such as:
- The recent transformations of policies aiming to regulate immigration and immigrants’ inclusion in residence countries at the national and sub-national levels;
- The evolution of diaspora policies from a comparative perspective;
- The role of governmental and non-governmental actors in shaping policy agendas on migration and in the implementation of immigration, inclusion, or diaspora policies;
- New perspectives on migrants’ incorporation into the labour market;
- Policies and practices defining migrants’ access to basic services in areas such as healthcare, housing, or education;
- The link between migration policymaking and welfare regulations in origin/residence countries;
- Shifting patterns of political participation, representation and claims-making across borders;
- New dynamics in migrants’ access to citizenship;
- Public opinion towards immigration and emigration;
- The salience of immigration or emigration in political debates;
- Policy measures for the protection and inclusion of refugees and asylum seekers;
- Narratives of belonging in diverse societies;
- The influence of supranational actors and international organisations in migration management in sending, transit, and destination countries.
Submission procedure: Panel Chairs wishing to contribute to this Section should submit their Panel proposals via email to Daniela Vintila (Daniela.Vintila@uliege.be), Verena Wisthaler (Verena.Wisthaler@eurac.edu) and Roberta Perna (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sebastián Umpierrez de Reguero (email@example.com) and Nawal Shaharyar (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the 6th of November 2023.
Panel proposals should only include:
- The name and institutional affiliation(s) of the Panel Chair(s);
- A tentative Panel title;
- A Panel abstract of maximum 250 words.
At this stage, there is no need to provide details regarding the papers to be included in each Panel. A formal Call for full Panels and individual paper proposals will follow at a later stage, upon acceptance of the Section proposal.