The Standing Group on the European Union (SGEU) is a broad-based standing group affiliated to the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR).
Created in 1995 to promote co-ordination and collaboration among political scientists interested in the blooming area of research on the European Union, the main activities of the SGEU include:
- The organization of biennial international conferences on the politics of the European Union,
- The organization of workshops for Early Career Researchers that study the European Union,
- The sponsoring of summer schools on any aspects related to the politics of the European Union,
- The organization and sponsoring of workshops, panels and sessions at the ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops, the ECPR General Conference,
- The organization of a monthly online seminar series on major issues related to the European Union,
- The maintenance of a mailing list, a news service and a website.
Although primarily a group of political scientists, the SGEU also fosters multidisciplinary collaboration across any social science discipline, including anthropology, economics, law, sociology, and social psychology, with a substantive focus on the European Union.
The Standing Group is open to individuals in ECPR member institutions as well as those from non-ECPR institutions.